A recipe is just a recipe until you add that KEY ingredient! Welcome to Key recipes!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chicken Tamale pie(or as I would say.. a mexican lasagna).

i got this recipe from Paula Deen( I think that the last few days.. I have been on a Deen kick lol). Well, she did this with pork.. I did with chiken. You can use either. I do not like to buy ready made whole cooked chicken(but feel free to). I like to smoke a whole chicken b.c I just love the flavor. I am going to post Paula's recipe as is... Let me tell you.... this is a mexican lasagna if there ever was one! I LOVE IT! Very filling,so you really don't eat much!


2 tablespoons veg. oil
1 1/2 cup of chopped onion2 tablespoons minced jalapenos
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 lbs. of smoked chopped pork
2(10 oz.) cans of red enchilada sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
Cilantro masa(recipe to follow)
2 cups shredded cheese(mexican blend is good)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 3 quart cassarole dish. in a large skillet warm the oil and add the onion, garlic and jalapenos. Cook until tender. remove from heat; stir in pork, enchilada sauce and cumin. Press 1/2 of the prepared masa sauce in the cassarole dish;top with 1/2 the pork mixture;then 1/2 the cheese. Repeat... add the rest of the masa;then the rest of the pork;then the rest of the cheese. Cover the cassarole with foil and cook on 350 degrees for an hour, or until the masa is cooked through.


Cilantro Masa
4 cups of instant masa flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cups fresh cilantro
In a mixer or a large bowl, stir in the masa and salt. Add broth and stir until smooth. Stir in cilantro until well combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment