A recipe is just a recipe until you add that KEY ingredient! Welcome to Key recipes!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Fish and shrimp tacos

I started out with large shrimp(16-20 count), and some tilapia. You can use any firm fleshed fish. Cut the fish into bite size pieces and then place them in a large ziploc bag with a generous portion of flour(I like to use wondera instant flour) and cornmeal. I used equal portions of each and I just placed enough in the bag to coat all of the meat. Then close the bag and shake vigorously.

I personally don't like to deep fry but, you could if you would like. I think that it takes so much oil and I tell myself that it is healthier if I just pan fry(whatever makes one feel better about their choices. Right?? LOL). So I took a cast iron skillet and covered the pan with about 1" of oil. I use grapeseed oil because it has a lot of nutrients and works great on both high and low heat. Once the oil starts to bubble a little bit, I start to add the meat. I do it in batches b.c you only want a single layer of meat on the pan. And, since you are pan frying, you will need to flip the meat. I let cook about 4-5 min. per side. Once cooked I placed on a towel for any excess oil to drain.
I made both corn and flour tortillas. For the corn tortillas I placed them in the same hot pan(most of the oil is gone by now) and warmed them for about 2 min. per side.
Next I shredded up about 1/3rd of a head of red cabbage, placed in a bowl with salt, pepper, and believe it or not.... (here is a great secret ingredient) Light Cesar's dressing(I like Ken's brand). Just enough to coat the cabbage. It really gives a punch to the tacos!
I also made a copy cat sauce chipolte sauce from a tex mex restaurant called Taco Bueno. I took 1 tub of greek yogurt, 3 tablespoons of Mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of canned chipolte chiles, 2 cloves of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder. Mix well.
Now its time to make the tacos!!!!
Take a tortilla and top with shredded cheese

Top with your fish and shrimp..

Chipolte sauce...
Cabbage...
Serve with a side of beans or rice and guacamole...
And waaalllaaahhhhhaaa. Happy eating y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment