A recipe is just a recipe until you add that KEY ingredient! Welcome to Key recipes!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

shepherd's pie


I took 2 pkgs. of meat. I pkg. of ground turkey(about 1.25 lbs.), and 1 pkg. of 97% lean ground beef(about 1 lb.) Seasoned with my favorite seasonings...
Feel free to use your own. Then mash up all of the meat and seasonings in a bowl with your hands and place in a dutch oven or a skillet to brown.
Once the meat is almost browned; add some frozen veggies and diced onions(just to your liking, no measuring needed).

In a separate sauce pan add 4 tblspns. butter and 1 can of beef broth(2 cups), 5 tablespoons of flour and about 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce. Whisk until it turns into a gravy.
Add the gravy mixture to the meat and veggies; place mixture into a casserole dish and set aside.
In a large pot boil 2 russet potatoes cut into 1-2" slices and boil until soft(about 10-12 min.). I leave the skins on, but that is optional.
Once the potatoes were soft, I placed them in my mixer with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and a dash of milk(less then a 1/4 cup), salt and pepper. Mix until smooth.
While that was mixing, I diced up some mushrooms and place on top of the meat mixture, but that is optional.
Top with the mashed potatoes(kinda like icing on a cake). Then I placed some Parmesan cheese and cilantro(or parsley) and placed in a broiled oven(on high) until the potatoes are browned...
I then served with a spinach salad and asparagus. And waaallllaaahhh Happy eating y'all!







No comments:

Post a Comment