A recipe is just a recipe until you add that KEY ingredient! Welcome to Key recipes!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Amazing smoked chicken

If you follow my blog, you know that I LOVE to use whole chicken in a lot of my recipes. I never buy them prepared. I smoke my own on the grill. I love the flavor and honestly.... it's cheaper!
I take mesquite wood chunks(you can buy a bag at walmart for 5.00) and place in a large bowl of water. You can do this overnight or let soak while you are at work. I then take a soda(I like root beer or Dr. Pepper) place half of it in a bowl and mix in your favorite spices. I used garlic powder, paprika, season salt, and onion powder. If you like spicy food, here is a hint....(I do not eat fast food, but my husband had taco bell the other night) I took 2 packets of their hot sauce and mixed it in as well. Then take a food injector and inject into the chicken. Season the outside of the bird with salt and pepper(I discard the skin once the chicken is done, but... if you like crispy skin...you will love this).

Light a charcoal grill, placing the coals to one side. Once the coals are grey and ready, add your wood. then place the Chicken on the opposite side of the grill with the can of soda inserted into the bird so the bird is standing up. The reason that you place the bird on the other side of your grill is b.c you don't want direct heat. You want the smoke to cook the meat. Slow and low!!!! I cook for 2 hours. This of coarse depends on the size of your chicken. You want the breast of the chicken to feel as if you were pressing on your forehead. (when cooking meat. Press on your face. If your meat feels like your cheek, its rare. Like your chin, medium. And your forehead... well done! Great tip!!)
Take off of the grill and let cool. Then take off the skin(It peels right off), shred with your hands and waallllaaahhhhaaa! Add to any recipe! Happy BBQ'ing y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment